I am motivated and inspired by both the outstanding people I have worked with during my career, and a lifelong love of all things culinary. A highly creative chef, passionate about cooking, with knowledge of fine wines, I can also mix the perfect Martini. The style is international, based on a solid classical French cuisine heritage. Technical skills aside, dedication to the preparation of the freshest, local, sustainable produce has always been my core value when designing and implementing new dishes. I am as happy preparing fresh lobster on the beach as I am dealing with technically advanced recipes from the great chefs of the past. I am knowledgable of most dietry requirements including (but not limited to) Kosher, Diabetic,Celiac and Gluten free. Capable of building and managing a wine cellar, I have also built up a solid network of wine suppliers within the UK.
You will find me respectful of budgetary requirements, practical with foodstuffs, attentive to hygiene, caring about people's food likes/dislikes.
I am punctual, focused, a proficient planner and organiser, staff manager, trainer and coordinator and have a natural instinct to please. I am loyal, ethical, discreet, well-mannered, resourceful and absolutely confident that I can deliver culinary and management skills to the highest level
Referees- contact details on request
David Gray - Singer /songwriter. Personal lifelong family friend.
Mr Gary Jones -Head chef. Le Manoir aux Quat Saison.
Mr. Russell Harries Q.C.
Mr Rhodri Lewis Q.C.
Judge David Wyn Morgan Cardiff Crown Court.
Mr Andrew Hamer Head chef ,Bath Spa.
Helen Roche Roches Stores. Ireland
February 2008-April 2010
Private Executive Chef
Private Residence of King Abdullah and Queen Rania of Jordan
Beit al Urdan. Amman, Jordan.
· Hands on culinary management overseeing and improving the exacting standards required in the private household, yacht, aircraft and overseas travel.
· Direct contact with the principles on dietry issues.Planning, purchasing and implementation of such.
· Sole charge of kitchen brigade of 30 +
· Hands on responsibility for preparation of principles meals.
· International cuisine. Many special diets, including Low GL, gluten Free, dairy free, and detox programmes.
· Direct contact with principles on guest menu planning.
· Menu planning and food preparation for many visiting heads of state, always at short notice (security issues).
· Menu planning ,by approval with principles, of foreign state visits to the Kingdom of up to 130 people,and overseeing preparation by Bassman Palace Chefs.
· Birthday celebration planning and preparation for all family members.
· Staff and food logistical organisation for regular travel within the Kingdom often at short notice (security issues).
· Oragnising, planning and preparation of banquets for state visits by Their Majesties to Rome in October 2009 and Brunei in 2008.
· Close, amicable, working relationship with Palace management on all culinary issues.
· Responsible for introducing Haccp Procedure.
· I was asked directly by the principles to renew my contract, but unfortunatly family commitments at home forced me to return to the UK.
2003 - 2008 Chef/proprietor. Lawton's at No.16. St Davids, Pembrokeshire.
From conversion of an old grocery store to 'best restaurant in Wales', the growth of Lawton's as a thriving seasonal business has been entirely managed by Stephen and Kim Lawton Alongside the restaurant the couple also run a business dealing with private catering for parties of up to 200.
1996-2003 Chef/co-proprietor The Old Pharmacy Restaurant. (Solva,Pembrokeshire.)
This was Stephen's first venture as chef/proprietor became a major local success, featuring in the Good Food Guide every year,and establishing a reputation that has maintained it as a thriving business.
1994-1996 Food and Beverage Manager The Bitter end Yacht Club and Resort, North Sound, Virgin Gorda,British Virgin Islands.
Bitter End is nautical village with 85 shore side accommodations and three restaurants. It is reachable only by sea in the most protected and secluded deep water harbour in the Caribbean. Stephen was responsible for all aspects of food and beverage and managed a team of more than 100 personnel. Apart from food preparation for this world class resort, he also re-structured staffing to deliver a reduced payroll and reduced costs, while improving the customer experience.